Friday, May 11, 2007

Safari

Firefox has been crashing on me lately a lot. Not so much crashing as hanging. I think if I waited long enough, I would eventually emerge from the pinwheel of death, but I'm impatient. So, I tried switching to Safari for a day.

It did a bunch of things that annoyed me. One was the seeming lack of a "home" button. I probably could have gotten used to just having it as a bookmark, but I use iGoogle as a portal, so I go back there frequently. Having a big button that takes me there is useful.

Second thing was that every time I loaded iGoogle, it gave me a pinwheel for about 5 seconds at the end of loading. Every time. I have no idea why it did this, but it was annoying.

The nail in the coffin, though, was the "Find" function. Using a modal dialog box for find was stupid when IE did it, and it hasn't gotten more intelligent since there. It's just so obvious at this point that a built-in search function that highlights the phrase you're typing in _in_ the document is vastly superior.

So, score 1 for Firefox.

Relately, I finally installed Quicksilver last night after resisting the hype. Okay, I admit it...it's awesome. In a nerdy kinda mac way, of course.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Weird. I actually find Safari to be much faster than Firefox on a Mac. I also prefer the way it has tab close icons for each tab, so you can close the one you don't want with one click and without having to actually open it. It does still has some compatibility issues, so I use both. Fyi, the home button can be added easily--go to View-->Customize Address bar.