Thursday, January 12, 2006

Confirmation hearing annoyance

I just have to mention that I've been listening to a bunch of the Alito hearings, and every time I do I get more annoyed. Not necessarily because Alito is a conservative fucktard (which he is), but because he doesn't answer a single goddamn question. I know this is not something that is particular to Alito and that every modern nominee does his best to dodge questions, but it's still infuriating. It's like confirmation hearings have become an idiotic game of cat and mouse where the opposition party attempts to ask hard questions and the nominee does his damndest to avoid answering all of them at all costs. Alito wouldn't even answer basic yes or no questions like "Do you think that term limits or age caps should be imposed on federal judges?" There are three fucking answers to that question: yes, no, or I'm not sure. "There are many different views on that" is not a fucking answer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kind of agree the whole process is useless. Still not sure what actually disqualifies someone from being confirmed short of being so stupid as to say something really inflammatory that cable networks will want to play over and over again until it pisses off regular Joes who never even heard of C-SPAN. I can't think of any potential upside to a nominee's answering a single question that might have more than 10 people disagreeing with any response. It seems like 18 hours of:
"Are you a complete retard?"
"No, sir. I am not"
"Thank you. I have no further questions."
(hint: the second question is where some nominees get tripped up)