Friday, August 11, 2006

Predictable politicizing

Were you surprised to read this New York Times article on the reaction to the bomb plot announcement? I wasn't.

It makes me fucking ill. That Lieberman is joining the Republican chorus makes me especially ill. I think I'm officially downgrading my opinion of Lieberman from "dislike" to "loathe."

This was the one paragraph that gave me some semblance of hope:
But in a sign of how this campaign might be different, Democrats struck a tone notably different from the elections of 2004 and 2002, when for the most part their strategy was to try to turn the subject away from national security. This time, Democrats attacked Republicans as failing to improve airline security and, most of all, argued that the decision to invade Iraq had been a distraction that depleted United States resources and allowed the world to become more dangerous.
For fuck's sake...the "weak on national security" horseshit Republican line is so very, very easy to counter. All you have to say is, "We're pointlessly wasting resources on Iraq, W gave the entire federal budget away to the wealthy so we don't have the resources we need to deal with the real threats to this nation, and even if we had them, the Republicans have managed to screw up, mismanage, and otherwise corrupt the very agencies (like FEMA) that should be on point to deal with crises." Or, perhaps something a little more punchy like, "George W. Bush and the Republicans put a horse judge as the head of the nation's disaster relief. Is this who you want dealing with national security?"

It's always been ridiculous that the Republicans managed to keep the upper hand on security issues, but it's especially ridiculous now that their screwups are not merely predictable (as they were when all of this shit started) but empirical and obvious.

I'm trying not to be conspiratorial and let myself consider the possibility that this plot announcement was politically timed, but I can't help but wonder. What are we?...T-3 months?

Have I mentioned everybody is fucking stupid?

No comments: