Saturday, February 17, 2007

Random thoughts on right now

Only two, actually. Okay, actually, there are sub-parts to 2. Christ, I really need to stop making PowerPoint presentations...
  1. On HD theater, there is currently a show where they are applying the story of Romeo and Juliet to monkeys. Yes, monkeys. There's a Romeo monkey, and there's a Juliet monkey. And a narrator. In HD.
    Just goes to show you that just because something is in HD, it doesn't mean it's any better.
  2. I'm watching Jesus is Magic (the latest Sarah Silverman special). I have very mixed feelings on her. On the one hand, she is clearly very clever, and she doesn't give a shit about boundaries. She'll go where the funny is. For that, I admire her. On the other hand, there are things that bother me about her:
    1. She's a one-liner comic, which to me is cop-out comedy. Granted, her one-liners are good, and at least it's not puns (usually), but still...she usually doesn't seem to be able to follow a train of thought. Now, rarely, there are comics who can pull off the one-liner. I like Richard Wright, who is the quintessential one-liner comic, but still...after a while it gets on my nerves.
    2. Her entire act relies on the tension between her innocent, glitter-eyed, naive tone and the bizarre, wrong shit that she's saying. All of it. It's character comedy. The comedy is almost entirely dependent upon the character she has created. Again, that's a cop-out, and it gets monotonous after a while. Colbert is the same way, but at least he actually follows a thread of comedy instead of relying on a build-up to a single punchline.
    3. She's crude for no reason. This is another pet peeve. I'm all in favor of profanity and otherwise totally wrong shit, but it has to be in support of the humor. But the profanity itself isn't interesting. It's fucking 12-year-old, "I-just-said-a-bad-word-tee-hee-hee" immature shit.

No comments: